Scientific Advisory Board
The research and intellectual side of the BIRS program is handled by the Scientific Advisory Board of BIRS which is comprised of 30 members representing a broad and expert coverage of the Mathematical Sciences. The BIRS Scientific Advisory Board is chaired by the BIRS Scientific Director. The members are nominated by the Scientific Director for a 3-year term, after consultation with the sitting members of the Scientific Advisory Board.
The responsibilities of the Scientific Advisory Board are:
- To assume a role of scientific and intellectual leadership for the development of BIRS;
- To oversee the development of cooperative programs between the mathematics institutes in North America;
- To oversee the development of interaction with the other cultural activities of the Banff Centre;
- To advise on the solicitation of proposals for new programs, workshops, etc.;
- To make recommendations on the renewal and balance of its own membership.